Saturday, May 18, 2013

My First Yard Sale

Well, it is sort of my first yard sale.  I have helped with other people's sales, and I have helped with sales at the church I grew up in.  Who knew there was so much stuff in this house!  AND that is with me making 2 or 3 trips a year to the local America's Thrift drop off.

Here are a few things I found to work out well:

  • Advertise on Craigslist.  Hands down the best tip.  Before the sale I had eight to ten e-mails asking about things I mentioned in the ad.
  • Put directions to your house on Craigslist, especially if you live out of the way, or on an obscure street like we do.
  • Make legible signs.  I made six signs on neon yellow poster board.  All the signs had were "Yard Sale," an arrow, and the times of the sale.  People are driving, they do not need a novel.
  • Make sure to get a permit, if needed.  Call your city hall to find out.  Without one in my area you can be fined $500!!!

The items that sold that was totally shocking to me.  People wanted "man stuff" and this yard sale was pretty girlie.  The man stuff sold within the first hour, ALL OF IT.  We sold drills, tools, XXL t-shirts, and a lot of antiquated technology (ie, a Palm Pilot, Nintendo, miscellaneous cords). 

What did not sell was also surprising.  We did not sell a sofa (no one even glanced in it's general direction), and I only sold a couple of little girl/baby items.  I had two boxes of shoes for toddlers, in good shape, and I sold one pair.  In the consignment sale I participate in, they are the first things to go.

Anyways, it was an excellent sale.  We ran it two days, and we were rained out day two.  That was really a good thing, there was not much left, at all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment